Exploring Mommyhood

A single mother on her journey through life- the good, the bad, and the ugly!

21 February 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I have been an STNA since October of 2001, and have worked in Geriatrics & Adult Rehabilitation ever since. But, things on the career front are about to get very, very different.

I have been offered a position with a (somewhat) local hospital's satellite Emergency Department as an E.D. Nurse Tech-- a great opportunity for my nursing career! I'm sure I'll still be assisting with an occasional bed pan or two, but this is a big step up from being an STNA. I'll be doing admission vitals, dressing applications or changes, inserting catheters, blood draws, assisting in codes, you name it as long as it's not within the RN or MD scope of practice. It's been a LONG time since I've participated in a code & had to do chest compressions on anyone-- working in geriatrics most of my patients have been DNR-- so I have been reviewing my CPR skills and just praying that nobody codes during my shift at least within the first week of working there.

The shift is a 12-hour midnight shift, 2 days a week--- actually, every other weekend and one week day. I used to work midnights before Claire was born, so it's not totally new to me, but I think it's going to take some getting used to again and some re-training on my part to adjust to the difference.

But at any rate, I am super excited about my new job and I can't wait to start! Hospital orientation is March 1st, and then my first day on the unit is March 3rd!

No comments:

Post a Comment