Exploring Mommyhood

A single mother on her journey through life- the good, the bad, and the ugly!

13 December 2009

Potty Training

Potty training is sooooo much harder than I ever thought it would be for Claire! She started off a year ago by going potty for the first time and I thought "Great! This will be a sinch!" Not so much. There has been so much inconsistency between being at home, being at her dad's and being at school a few days a week that she just doesn't seem to care. I tried the treat thing. I'm trying the sticker reward chart right now-- go pee pee and get one sticker; go poop and get two-- fill up the whole chart and you get something special! That started off good, but has kind of come to a halt. She pretty much just wants to sit there and goof around instead of actually going potty. She is starting to show a little more bladder control- staying dry during naps or for a several hour stretch at at time. So when I realize that she's been dry for a while and probably should have peed by then, I try to get her to go potty. She tries. She doesn't go. Then within 5 minutes of putting her pull-up back on, she pees in it. Now that I'm off school for a month, I'm going to really try to crack down, but I'm starting to feel pretty frustrated. Thinking about maybe putting the thick cotton training underwear on her instead of the pull-ups and if she pees in them then she will realize that she doesn't like that, but that is a LOT of clean-up if she doesn't catch on quickly. Aurgh!!! Any suggestions moms??

No comments:

Post a Comment